Design and Advertising
Bloomington High School
Title: Design and Advertising
- Students will understand appropriate and effective ad design.
- Discuss the features necessary for an effective ad:
- introductory statement
- call to action
- Also, discuss use of
- company logo, address, phone number, and business hours; photos and captions
- Discuss use of optical center and white space.
- Discuss persuasive words: suddenly, introducing, sensational, offer, wanted, bargain, now, improvement, quick, challenge, hurry, announcing, amazing, revolutionary, magic, easy and compare (from "Confessions of an Advertising Man," by David Ogilvy).
Weasel Words http://sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu/~egjbp/comp/ad-claims.html
- Working in pairs, students should create a full-page, half-page, quarter-page, and eighth-page ad for each of the following types of business:
- retail sales (clothing/department stores)
- automobile sales/manufactured homes sales
- retail sales (books, music, electronics)
- service occupations.
- Students will take mock-ups, with tabulated results of market survey, school demographics memo and sales scripts, to area businesses.
- Students will prepare mock-ups for five different types of businesses, in four different sizes.
- Clip art files