Reynolds HSJ Institute
What do teachers say about our work?
Read testimonials from teachers who have gone through the Reynolds Institute and/or used my.hsj.org and hsj.org.
More than 150 teachers say the Reynolds Institute is the best training program they've ever taken part in.
A look at past participants and the universities involved.
The Reynolds High School Journalism Institutes are intensive two-week journalism training programs for secondary school teachers hosted by five universities and funded by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. Instruction is based on the core tenets of journalism and the skills needed to produce top-notch student publications, primarily online with multimedia tools. Applications for the 2013 Institutes are no longer being accepted. Individuals who applied will be notified by May 6, 2013, of the selection committees' decisions.
If you are not selected or if you did not have the opportunity to apply this year, we encourage you to apply for the 2014 Institutes. Applications for 2014 will be available on November 1, 2013, and will be due March 1, 2014.
The Institutes not only provide participants with three hours of graduate credit, but also cover an array of topics including news literacy, reporting, writing, editing, multimedia, photojournalism, online layout and design, journalistic credibility, ethics and responsibilities, opinion pages, the future of news, business-side skills, First Amendment matters, privacy and the state of scholastic press freedom.
Since 2000, the Institutes have trained more than 1,900 teachers and enabled them to:
- Help students start a multimedia student news outlet online.
- Dramatically improve the quality of existing student media.
- Enhance their expertise in news literacy, English, civics and social studies.
- Develop lesson plans and journalism curriculum.
Best of all, the Institutes are free -- thanks to funding by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. All travel, housing, meals, materials and tuition for graduate credit are paid by the Institutes.
Most participants tell us the Institutes are the best professional development they've ever received.
An inside look at 2012 Reynolds Institutes
2012 Arizona State University, Phoenix
- The newspaper
- The blog
- The farewell video
- Facebook page for 2011 and 2012 groups
- Twitter hashtag: #reynasu
2012 The University of Texas at Austin
2012 Kent (Ohio) State University
2012 The University of Nevada, Reno
- The newspaper
- The website
- Facebook page for 2011 and 2012 participants
- News coverage
- Twitter hashtag: #reynoldsreno
2012 University of Missouri, Columbia
Learn more about past Institutes:
- Links to the work of the 2011 Institute.
- Links to the work of the 2010 Institute. Also see a video of ASNE's president speaking at the Arizona State Institute.
- Links to the work of the 2009 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2008 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2007 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2006 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2005 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2004 Institute
- Links to the work of the 2003 Institute
- A look at the 2002 Institutes
- A look at the 2001 Institute
This page is http://hsj.org/reynolds.